e-Book: Converting Web Inquiries into Private Music Students

Saturday, March 18, 2006

12. Web Inquiry: How much do you charge?

Some Web Inquiries are brief, containing only one question:

How much do you charge?

One may think that since the question does not ask anything about the teacher, it is a price shopping exercise.

Not so.

This is, in fact, a request for more information. It implies ‘I read and like your background, I am almost ready to buy, need a bit more info, sell me please.’

While price is important, people are more concerned with value. Assuming you tell a prospective student that you charge the same fees as all teachers in your area, then price is no longer a factor in selecting a music teacher. What prospective student really wants to hear is this:

Tell me how you can help me, and I will pay you what you are worth.